I am thrilled to announce that the third annual Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo presented by Toyota will take place on September 22, 2018 at Rough Riders Stadium in Frisco, Texas. The Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo is a premier, multi-course cycling event designed for the professional to the weekend rider. Once again we will feature a 100-mile Gran Fondo with a winner take all purse of $10,000, along with the Medio Fondo (100K), Piccolo Fondo (45-mile), Ride 22 (22-mile) and a family fondo.
Following the rides, we’ll have an after party, awards ceremony, entertainment and family activities, and it’s all for a good cause. The Emmitt Smith Gran Fondo benefits Pat & Emmitt Smith Charities and helps us raise funds to provide programming for our TEAM 22 mentoring and leadership development program and the annual Back to School Program.
We have a weather update and have been in communication with the City of Frisco and received updates from the National Weather Service. This update includes the following weather patterns: High 74-Low 66: Mostly Cloudy and 70% + chances of severe weather patterns.
Our priority remains to provide a safe and enjoyable event for participants, volunteers and spectators. We are continuing to monitor the weather and storm activity in real-time prior to Saturday in collaboration with City Municipalities and the National Weather Service.
The Event Director will decide by 3 pm on Friday, September 21 what action will be taken. Options include:
All routes open. No route modifications or delays.
7:30AM scheduled start, but w/ the option to delay the start up until 9am. However, only the 45-mile and 22-mile routes will be open. All participants would be able to ride one of these routes.
Potential to host the venue festivities without the rides taking place.
Cancelling the event.
**PLEASE NOTE** A final decision has NOT been made. The Ride Director will make a decision on or before the deadline mentioned above based on the safety of everyone involved. The decision will be communicated no later than 3pm – Friday, September 21st.
Participants will be informed via email, race announcements and social media so please check your inbox for communication from organizers. We remain hopeful to have a great event with a great ride and celebration afterwards.
If the decision is made to modify routes, delay the start, or we are forced to cancel the ride; please be reminded there will be no refunds of registration fees.